Rating: 3 out of 5
Usually it doesn't take me an entire month to complete a novel, but life has been keeping me more than busy lately. If it wasn't for my book club acting as my group of accountability partners, I'd be concerned about getting any reading done right now!
Today the film adaptation for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is released, and the real-life Book Club Babes will be taking a field trip to see it on Wednesday. This week we had tons of fun sharing what we thought of Seth Grahame-Smith's parody of the Jane Austen classic.
Only a couple women in the group had read the original Pride and Prejudice, and I had to admit that I never finished it. I have always felt that the novel was lacking, from its tittering dialogue to its lack of passion. I much prefer the gothic romance of the Bronte sisters, arguing that Wuthering Heights is the superior story of love vs. money.
That being said, I definitely felt that zombies improved this tale dramatically. My only complaint was that there weren't enough of them! According to Amazon, about 85% of the original text is preserved, and the remaining 15% includes references and scenes of the walking dead. Popular demand for more zombies even contributed to the release of an "ultraviolent" edition, which I'm bummed was not the version I borrowed from the library.
These sporadic additions are hilarious. I find it amusing how there's no real explanation as to why zombies have been ravaging England for decades, but the Bennet sisters do a kickass job of keeping them at bay. Mr. Bennet is more concerned with their abilities as warriors, while Mrs. Bennet just wants to see them married.
It's very clear that a man wrote this adaptation, given the over-the-top fight scenes complete with Elizabeth ripping hearts out of ninjas and eating them. I also look forward to watching her roundhouse kick Darcy into the fireplace when I see the film. Our book club agreed that Jane Austen would be pleased with this uber-feminist portrayal of her protagonist.
Another minor issue that I had with this book was its unnecessary Orientalism by fetishizing China and Japan as places to train zombie fighters. It also references that the zombie plague originated in the east, so it inherently positions the region as both the problem and the solution. Jane Austen's work has already been critiqued by English literature scholars for postcolonial themes, so Grahame-Smith does her a disservice by making Pride and Prejudice sound more racist than intended.
Other than that, if you love Pride and Prejudice, you probably don't need an excuse to read it again with zombies added. And if you're like me and never liked this novel...well, at least it's more entertaining now!